When you choose to use a reusable water bottle, you’re not only saving money on purchasing bottled water; you also help reduce plastic waste in the landfill and protect the environment.
A water bottle is affordable, convenient and suitable for every member of the household. You can take them to work, school, nursery, gym and road trips. Your water bottle may be of non-toxic plastic, glass or stainless steel.
Over time, the bottle can get a white film or accumulate bacteria, mold, or mildew. If these problems exist, you may need to set up a routine cleaning schedule to keep your bottle germ free and safe to use.
Here are a few tips
You will need:
- A bottle brush
- Warm Water
- Dishwashing liquid
- Sterilizing or denture tablets
- Baking soda
- Hydrogen peroxide
- White vinegar
- Microfiber cloth
- Small toothbrush
For glass, your best bet may be the dishwasher. To clean in the dishwasher, separate all the parts of the bottle.
Put each part at the top of the rack so the hot water can penetrate but not warp them.
Deep clean the bottle with a little bleach. Be sure to rinse a few times with soap and water to eliminate the bleach smell. Clean inside the straw with a straw brush or pipe cleaner to clear the spout or vent holes.
Cleaning stainless steel
Inside stainless steel can oxidize quickly. Clean stainless steel bottles often with soap and water. You can also sanitize it with sterilizing or denture tablets to clean away mold or bacteria.
Tip: Avoid using scrubbers that may scratch stainless steel. Harsh chemical cleaners can also strip stainless steel of its sheen. Baking soda is a better option. It cleans, deodorizes and is gentle on the surface.
Guide to using cleaning products
- If you use your bottle to tote other beverages like tea, coffee or juice, stains can leave an unsightly film inside your bottle.
- Apart from bacteria and mold build-up, your bottle can also develop a musky odor or the water may taste unnatural over time.
- Moisture left in the bottle can help bacteria and mold to grow.
Here’s how to use some everyday products to eliminate odors, clean and sanitize your water bottle.
To Reduce Odors
Baking soda is a natural, non-toxic cleaner and deodorizer. It gently removes stains without scratching.
Add equal parts baking soda and bleach; 1 teaspoon each will do. You can form a paste and use a brush or cloth to work the inside of the bottle.
You can also add water and leave it overnight to work through.
Rinse the bottle thoroughly in the morning. Allow it to air dry before using.
Vinegar: Vinegar is an age-old cleaning method that’s very effective in removing the mold, mildew, and bacteria. It also helps eliminate unpleasant odors.
Hydrogen peroxide destroys bacteria, viruses, and mold. It’s affordable and non-toxic.
Vinegar: Place some white vinegar in the bottle and fill it part-way with water. Let it work overnight for best results. In the morning, rinse the bottle well with soap and water.
You can also fill the bottle with hot water to soak overnight. Rinse thoroughly with soap and water.
Vinegar and peroxide solution: Spray the bottle with vinegar or hydrogen peroxide alternately. Decide which one you will use first, but use them separately; not together.
- Clean the bottle with soap and water.
- Spray the bottle with the hydrogen peroxide or vinegar. Leave it to set about 15 minutes.
- Use the next product (either vinegar or hydrogen peroxide). Repeat the method and rinse thoroughly. Leave the bottle to dry completely.
Sterilizing or denture tablets
Sterilizing or denture cleaning tablets are excellent options to keep bottles clean.
- Top the bottle with water.
- Insert the tablet and let it dissolve.
- Leave it for about half an hour to work, or follow the instructions for the product guidelines.
- Rinse the bottle thoroughly before using it.
General cleaning tips:
- Practice washing the bottle after every use. It will help reduce bacteria and odor build-up.
- Uncap the bottle and let the air circulate to reduce odor build-up.
- Set up a weekly routine cleaning regimen to help reduce odor and stain build-up.
- Always ensure the bottle is completely dry. Any remaining moisture will allow mold and bacteria to grow.
- After washing, leave each part open to air dry before reassembling the bottle.
- Wipe dry with a microfiber cloth.
A water bottle is affordable, environmentally-friendly, convenient and reusable. However, moisture in the bottle can encourage mold, mildew, and bacteria to thrive.
Establish a regular cleaning regimen to help reduce odors, remove harmful spores and protect you and your family’s health.